Saturday, June 15, 2013

Home in Hooper

By Greg:

The brethren determined that I needed to go home, and once the wheels were in motion we were on our way the next day.  What a whirlwind that was.  Even though I was really sick, we had to transition all our activities, clean out our office and apartment, pack and then the hard part, say good-bye.

It was so hard to say good-bye to all our friends.  Many of the Africans were sobbing.  "Oh mommy, or daddy, how can we live without you!" It was unexpected and we were totally unprepared for this.  Oh how we love these people.  We will miss the other missionary couples, but we will probably never see the Africans again in this life!

We had a "tender mercy" of the Lord.  I am so sick, and I was dreading the long plane ride.  As we purchased our ticket (actually the Church purchased it) we were lucky to even get a seat.  We have made this trip across the ocean three times before and were in good health and it was hard.  Well, the Lord loves us.  We received an up-grade to first-class/business-class.  The seats actually became beds.  I was able to sleep.  I wore a catheter and bag, and took medicines, but we made it.

We have met with the doctor and after he got over his "profession shock" at my condition, went forward on his treatment plan.  This included putting in a "real" catheter and replacing all the medications with American Meds.  He has scheduled me for surgery in two weeks.  He needs to be certain that the infection is in check first.

So, at this point, I am on the "injured reserve" roster and will be so for the next 8-10 weeks.  We do not know what will happen then, but surely there as place in this world (and specifically in the US) where we can labor and complete our mission.

The Area Medical Advisor, Elder Elmer, shared with Sister Haws this scripture from the Doctrine and Covenants, but it can apply to us, at least he applied it, and I would like to share it:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hand of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.  Doctrine and Covenants 124:49.

Well, my enemies are not Missouri mobs, but a sickness, that for me has proved as dangerous to my health, safety and security as a mob. 

We have faith in the Lord.  We trust him. 

We appreciate all of the love and support we have felt, especially all of the prayers.  We are convinced that this problem could not be resolved in Africa, but we are confident that it will be resolved here at home.

Love to all--Elder Greg W. Haws

PS  We hope to continue this blog--perhaps in another time and place--we will notify all of our progress.

3 comments:

  1. So happy to know that you made it home safely. Such a great tender mercy to have the upgrade. We have flown that way coming and going to missions a couple of times and it is wonderful! We are so happy that you are now in the hands of a doctor who knows what to do to help. Our prayers are with you. Please keep us informed of what your future plans are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you are home and getting medical help here. We are concerned and praying for you. I have enjoyed your blog. Thank you for sharing the scripture in the Doctrine and Covenants. I had never heard that before. Love from your niece Shae and her family in Washington D.C.

    ReplyDelete